The Loreley's Grasp
Oh crap, that's the wrong Lorelai. Let's try this again.
- The Loreley's Grasp (U.S. title)
- The Claws Of Lorelei (translation of Spanish title)
- When The Screaming Stops (alternate U.S. title)
Release Date: Feb. 23, 1974
Director: Amando de Ossorio
Writer: Amando de Ossorio
Premise: A girls' school is preyed upon by a lizard monster.
Pick My Brain
This film didn't leave an incredibly large impression on me. It's a monster movie done much in the style of cheap slashers that would dominate the following decade of hour. A cast full of young, sexual women is picked off in gory death scenes. I feel the movie does deserve some praise for having a full lizard suit and not relying entirely on shots of its hand creeping around doorways and slashing at characters. Even a terrible monster suit at least adds something to a generic movie. The movie also has a lot of strange elements that show up towards then later half, like a guy with a whip and mystical seduction. It's all fun, but you don't have to feel bad if you never get around to watching it.
Sometimes They Come Back... Again
Amando de Ossorio directed 9 horror movies.
Helga Liné, who played Lorelei, made 13 horror films, such as Horror Express, Nightmare Castle, and Horror Rises From The Tomb.
Many other actors in this movie appeared in several Spanish horror films including Tony Kendell, Loreta Tovar, José Thelman, Luis Induni, and Luis Barboo. Movies such as The Return Of The Evil Dead and The Night Of The Sorcerers (both also written and directed by de Ossorio) feature multiple actors from The Loreley's Grasp.
It Came From Horrorpedia!
The IMDb trivia section for this one only notes that the film wasn't released in Germany for years, so I've gone to Horrorpedia to find some interesting tidbits.
- Some scenes were filmed with a clothed and unclothed version for different markets.
- The 1976 When The Screaming Stops version of the movie added red flashes before each kill.
- This version was also re-released in theaters in the early '80s with marketing that implied it was a slasher.
- Lightning Video created special vomit bags for people viewing the movie.